Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Radio Days #5

Working at the station has been a very good experience so far. I'm learning a lot and getting more responsibilities. Michael has had me run th board while he talked on the air, and had me talk on the air while he ran the board, but he has recently started letting/making me do both. It's mildly terrifying, of course, but I like it a lot too. I still make plenty of mistakes, but I'm getting better (I just need to remember to BREATHE!). I've been learning a lot more about the automation and how a show is put together on the computer. The automation is what plays at night when there is no one at the station running the board, it's sort of a complicated process, but I got to put together the automation for three different nights last week. For a while I was only monitoring the board while we recorded the show African Perspectives, but this week I got to see what happens after the recording, when the cut the pieces of audio up, splice in music tracks, install faders, and do a number of other things. I'm enjoying all the new things I'm getting to do a lot, it's much better than just observing people and shadowing.

1 comment:

carrie said...

I didn't know that you were doing the night automation programming. I always enjoy doing more than seeing myself. Keep up the great job!
10/10 points.